top of page
WUC 2021 Virtual Welcome Hub’.jpg
We pride ourselves on getting to know you as an individual. Specialist student support services are here to provide practical support, advice and guidance to you when you most need it. Some of the services available are detailed below Our Learning Support team are here to support you with:


  • Additional learning support (college courses)

  • Disabled Students’ Allowances (university courses)

  • Learning difficulty & disability advice

  • Communicators for hearing impaired students

  • Exam access arrangements

  • Reasonable adjustments

Learning Support Services
We actively encourage early disclosure of any learning difficulties, disabilities and/or health conditions you may have as it allows us to consider reasonable adjustments to ensure you have equal access to all aspects of student life. We will require evidence before we can make recommendations for your support and adjustments. Evidence could take the form of a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)* needs assessment report, a diagnostic report from a suitably qualified specialist or a letter from a doctor/consultant/ psychiatrist. This should confirm that your condition is ongoing and has lasted (or is predicted to last) 12 months or more. It is helpful if your evidence also indicates how your disability/condition may affect your studies. 
For College students, contact 
For University students contact 
OR come and see a member of the Learning Support team to discuss your individual situation and needs.
Reasonable adjustments could include:
  • Alternative exam or assessment arrangements, such as extra time, rest breaks, or using a PC
  • Teaching materials and exams in alternative formats
  • Support workers, such as Communicators (for our hearing impaired students)
  • Changes to field trips and work placements (where possible and appropriate)
  • Changes to buildings, teaching venues or your accommodation (where possible and appropriate)
  • Hearing loops
  • Use of marking guidelines for written work for students with Specific Learning Difficulties Reasonable adjustments cannot change competence standards. All students are measured by the same learning outcomes. If you unexpectedly become ill or are injured, you would need to apply for extenuating circumstances.
Exam Arrangements
Exam arrangements should ensure that you are not disadvantaged by your learning difficulty/disability/ health condition. These can include:
  • Extra time in exams
  • Using a computer or other specialist equipment
  • Rest breaks
  • A smaller or separate exam venue
  • A reader
  • A scribe
  • An alternative format for your exam paper (e.g. coloured paper)
For HE students these need to be agreed at least three weeks in advance of your exam.

For FE students exam arrangements please contact   as early as possible as applications will need to be submitted to different exam boards



Visit our website to find out more about our services and help available.

If you you have any questions and need to get in touch with the Learner Support team you can contact them by clicking the buttons below.


Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)
We would strongly encourage all disabled UK home students to apply for DSA to see what support can be funded. Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)* can cover some of the extra costs you may have because of a disability. DSAs may fund one-toone support, such as study skills or specialist mentoring. DSAs may also fund specialist equipment, software and/or travel costs. DSAs are grants, not loans, so there is never anything to pay back. DSAs are only available to UK home students and are not means tested. If you need help or advice in applying, please come and see a member of the Learning Support team as soon as possible. 
Financial Support
Financial assistance may be available to help you if you are finding it difficult to continue your studies due to financial hardship. If you are facing financial difficulties and meet residency requirements you can make an application. Levels of support vary according to individual circumstances and each application is individually assessed. Assistance is subject to eligibility and the availability of funds. To apply for support through the Higher Education Hardship Fund* you must have a Student Loan. You will need to complete and submit an application form to Student Finance, along with evidence of income or any benefits received and an academic staff recommendation.
*subject to the availability of the funding
bottom of page